Friday, July 18, 2008

What does that word even mean!

Before I straightened my hair, I did alot of research....it was like a whole new world was discovered while i was "gone"! Pre-pooing, cowashing, saran wrap treatments, etc. When I left off there were ceramic flat irons becoming popular....I felt lost.

So in finding out these terms, I had to go to 20 different places to figure out what things meant, and it was REALLY frustrating. For that reason, I figured I would just quickly put them all in ONE posting together. And I will include info about texlaxing. Not an expert, so this is my understanding of all the processes.

Texlaxing-using a texturizer to loosen curl pattern (texturizers are weak relaxers)
using a relaxer either half the time, without smoothing, and/or adding conditioner to relaxer.  The most popular addition I found was EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), the amount to add varied.  Basically by reducing times and smoothing, and adding conditioners you are able to reduce the harshness of them chemical.  Also, the conditioners help condition your hair while you relax it.  

I didn't do that the first time but I will next time (found that tidbit after the fact). I used to use EVOO in my hair anyway, the only reason I stopped was because when I would go to Italian restaurants or eat anything with EVOO in it, i felt like I had hair in my throat because that was my association.....weird but true. However, despite that it works wonders.  I used it just as a moisturizer (use a dime amount and just rub it through your hair). 

Personally, I think texlaxing may work better on longer hair....before my fiasco it was fine, but with it shorter, it is way too much texture and hard to get it to lay down.

Pre-pooing (pre-shampooing)-putting a mixture of conditionering products on your hair dry before you wash it. Then covering with a plastic cap and letting it sit.  The time depends on a few things.  If you use a hot towel you can do like 20 minutes...I guess a dryer would be the same time (don't quote me). And if no heat at all, around an hour I read works.  I personally do a hot towel for 30 minutes because I have to reheat it. 

Most people say conditioners but I found that it is a mixture so stuff. Most ppl use products that they want to get rid of anyway, conditioners that are okay or just a cheap one along with other moisturizers they dont really use.  In addition, you can use honey, olive oil, joboba oil, coconut oil (I plan to research those more). Currently, I an using a mixture of LeKair Cholesterol Plus (have a new conditioner that works better), ORS Moisturizing Lotion (since I really dont have olive oil right now), and some ORS Carrot Oil. I use both because I bought a ton of moisturizers and it is good for protecting ends. My hair is short so i use my hands, but you can also use a brush like the one for a relaxer to apply it.  Think of applying it like a relaxer to virgin hair. Like get it ALLLLLLLLLLLLL over your hair, make sure you get those ends!!! Then, I put on the cap. The first time I did not reheat the towel so it didnt do anything. But last time, I put a slightly damp towel in the microwave for 3 minutes, put it on for 15 minutes, reheated and put it back on for 15 more minutes. And my hair came out REALLLYYYY good! It was shiny, and soft and not dry at all!

After all that I wash it....I use Cream of Nature, it is in an orange bottle, will look up the name. and start adding pictures soon! I go to Great Clips to get my ends clipped and they have a fortifying conditioner by Biolage (will look that name up too). I let me hair air dry with Garnier Fruictise Leave In Sleek and Shine Conditioner......I didn't mean to use so many different brands but some is what I had when I went unnatural soooooo for now I am keeping them.  I have always used "nonmatching" products and have never had a problem with them.  I loved Fruictise before and it works well, and it still does.

Co-washing- Conditioner washing....use conditioner in place of shampoo. Pretty simple.  I used to do it before, I have not done it with my hair straight yet. Maybe Sunday I will.

Saran Wrap Treatment-After you flat iron your hair, you wrap it then wrap saran wrap around it, put a heat protectant on it and then sit under the dryer for 20 minutes. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS, mainly because I do not have a dryer right now and I dont think it would work for me. But I do plan to try it. It is supposed to help "flatten" your hair (from the fresh washed puffyness) as well as give it sheen.  From what I saw in Vlogs, it works great....on long hair. I will add pictures of that when I try it too, should be next week.

Hope that was helpful!

No comments: